|Table of Contents|
OpenSTV (and pSTV)
This page includes links to download three programs that will allow you to use the ballot data found on this website. I have also included brief explanations on how to use the various programs to run an election using any ".blt" file found on this website. I would recommend using OpenSTV or pSTV to start off. The help function on OpenSTV and pSTV is very useful to understanding the ".blt" format as well as the various electoral systems that you can use to create "Bizzaro World" elections.
Stove Top is a program created from pSTV but is currently only Mac-accessible. (If anyone can change that fact, I would be greatly appreciative). Stove Top has two key functions that OpenSTV and pSTV do not have: 1) the ability to create great reports about the election and 2) the ability to run Countback elections.
OpenSTV (and pSTV)
How to use the ballot data on this site with OpenSTV or pSTV:
1) Download and install OpenSTV:
- OpenSTV v1.5
- pSTV v0.6 - (pSTV is an older version of OpenSTV.)
- You can also check for the latest version on their website: www.openstv.org.
3a) Start OpenSTV. (If you're using pSTV see 3b instead.) Click on "File" then "Run Election". Now select one of the ".blt" files you have downloaded and keep the method set to "Scottish STV". Click "OK". A new window will pop up titled "Election Options". All of this information should be accurate and left alone because the ".blt" file is already configured to be accurate for that particular election. Simply click "OK". You should now have a new tab full of information because the election has just been run.
3b) If you are using pSTV instead of OpenSTV start pSTV and select "Ballots" from the top menu. Then select "Load (blt)..." from the drop down menu. Select one of the ".blt" files you have downloaded. The ballot data should now be loaded and the screen will inform you of this by adding a new line of text telling you the file location and how many ballots were in the file. Now Click on "Election" on the menu bar and "Count Votes". Click "OK" on the box that pops up and it will run the election.
How to use the ballot data on this site with Stove Top:
1) Download and install StoveTop:
3) Okay, so I've never personally used Stove Top so you just have to play around with it to figure it out for yourself.
4) Stove Top can also be used to run a Countback Election. Visit the Countback Election page for more information on Countback Elections. To run a Countback Election with Stove Top do the following:
- How to run a Countback Election:
- load ballots
- post-process selected
- one time countback becomes selectable
- select candidates
- select # 2 be elected
- verbos display shows round by rounds